US GO-SHIP is part of the international GO-SHIP network of sustained hydrographic sections, supporting physical oceanography, the carbon cycle, and marine biogeochemistry and ecosystems. The US program is sponsored by US CLIVAR and OCB. Funded by the National Science Foundation and NOAA.
Read our news article about the use of GO-SHIP hydrography for observing the deep ocean in the latest edition of US CLIVAR Variations, called “A case for observing the deep ocean.” This edition of Variations highlights the existing “state-of-the-art” methods to measure the deep ocean, some of the scientific insights that have already been gained from these observations, and new methodologies and technologies to expand the network of observations. The GO-SHIP article begins on p. 8, and is co-authored by L. Talley, G.C. Johnson, S. Purkey, R.A. Feely and R. Wanninkhof. The lead article in the edition of Variations is an overall case for deep ocean observations, co-authored by G.C. Johnson and M. Winton.Read More
Greetings from the Brown. We are steaming towards Punta Arenas, making reasonable time (7-8 knots) in 12’-15’ seas with steady 20-25 knot Northwest winds. This report comes one day early, as little bird tells me I’ll be very busy over the next few days. We arrive Punta Arenas during the afternoon of Feb. 3rd. Friday night in Punta Arenas.Read More
Shift could disturb ocean circulation and hasten sea level rise, researchers say
This article references US GO-SHIP cruise I08S 33RR20160208 doi: 10.7942/C2H59NRead More
We continue to operate on the aft winch with very few problems with the wire or the CTD. We continue to have excellent, if cold, weather. We have continued, until very recently, to occupy stations at half-degree spacings. This report would end there if it weren’t for some deception and sandbagging that warrant attention. Also, we reached the end of the 103°W P18 line, and conducted an XCS section.Read More
After we gloated about our good weather fortunes last week, King Neptune returned the favor with a weekend blow: 25-30 Knot South winds, seas 10-15 ft were our new normal during the 14-16th. Although our transits were slowed, sometimes drastically, we continued operations. Since the 17th, however, we’ve been riding the Western side of a low (< 1000 mb) with very little pressure gradient. Cloudy skies, cold (2-4 °C), but with moderate winds 10-15 knots, squalls to 25.Read More
We are looking for students to participate in hydrographic long-line cruises (1-2 months) this coming summer (2017) in the South Pacific on the RVIB N.B. Palmer of the US Antarctic Program (USAP). The US GO-SHIP program (formerly “US Repeat Hydrography”) collects data for global CO2 and climate variability programs. The website is https://usgoship.ucsd.edu.
Deadline for applications (see below for details): February 15, 2017Read More
Two weeks into Leg 2 of GO-SHIP P18 2016/17, we’re at 47° 30’S, and the weather is … NICE! Sun rises at 6:20, and sets at 9:45.
Not that we haven’t seen some weather. We had a 48 hour blow (25-30 kts) over the 8th and 9th that tested our deploy / recover skills on the forward winch.Read More
Prepared by Rolf Sonnerup
We are now one week into Leg 2 of GO-SHIP P18 2016/17. About half of the scientific staff have changed hands. Sarah Purkey and I thank Brendan Carter and Annie Bourbonnais for remaining aboard to ease our transition, and in particular for leaving us with a crew of scientists in excellent spirits. Weather must’ve been great. One person who is sorely missed is Andy Stefanick, Jedi Master of the CTD and salt analysis, who returned home from Easter Island with a sprained ankle.Read More
Prepared by Brendan Carter
A map of our section with the yellow arrow highlighting what we’ve done this week. The thin black line at ~54°S shows the section of the Chilean EEZ where we are approved to conduct research.
Leg 1 came to an abrupt end one day early after an unexpected Chilean clearance problem. As noted in the previous weekly update, the Chilean clearance was expected to be granted at the last minute and allow us to proceed with our work in the EEZ surrounding Easter Island and the Island of Sala y Gomez. The problem came when the clearance documents that we received made no mention of the work we intended to do in that EEZ. Instead, the documents only approved work to be done at a later date on the approach to Punta Arenas (in a rectangle that looks like a thin black line on the map above). Fortunately, our planned stations are on the edge of the Easter Island EEZ, so we have the option of shifting the stations to international waters to the east (for a shift of up to 1 1/3° east). Rather than implementing this plan immediately, we decided it would be better to preserve sea time for leg 2 and transit to port 1 day early
We’d hoped we’d be able to resolve the confusion before leg 2 began. Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that our clearance will be able to be reviewed in time despite valiant efforts from Captain Kamphaus and our teams from the laboratories on land. It is therefore likely that these stations will need to be shifted east when they are occupied on leg 2. This is not an ideal outcome, but it is significantly better than skipping the stationsRead More
Prepared by Brendan Carter
A map of our section, with the yellow arrow highlighting what we’ve done this week.
We’re on fire! (Figuratively, of course.)Read More